Monday, April 7, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #4 Part One

It is the start of a new month so that means another scrap quilt!  
Yep!  It is time to get on my party hat and start another Scrap-A-Palooza quilt.  

The inspiration for this quilt came about as I was writing my post for Part Three of last month's quilt.  As I was showing some possible layouts for the Color Block quilt, we discussed possibly setting up the blocks to appear to be weaving in and out of each other.  (I also shared you this quilt that I had done a number of years ago.)




Well, this got me thinking about a stack of cut squares that have been living on my coffee table for a really long time.





I had cut these 4 1/2" squares for a quilt I have been meaning to make but I now want to make in different fabrics.  These squares were cut from leftover fabrics from a couple of previous quilts and I have been wanting to find them a home.

The thought of weaving colors and the need to get these fabrics out of my livingroom gave me an idea.  So...

My vision for this month's quilt is to make a simple patchwork quilt where two colors are woven together.


 If you haven't saved your scraps for long, this project might be a bit difficult to make.  You need to pick two colors with a lot of contrast to them and have enough scraps of each color to cut enough blocks to make a quilt.

I went with 4 1/2" squares as that is the size I already had cut.  You can certainly adjust the size but I would not go too much smaller.  We will be adding a background color like the quilt at the top of the post.  I will be going with white again as I have a nice stock of it in my stash.

How many squares should you cut?  That will depend on how big of a quilt you want.  Once you know what size you will be cutting your squares, figure out a width and length that is divisible by the finished size of that square (Note: it will need to be an odd number).  My finished size is 4" and I want about a 50" square quilt.  13 rows by 13 columns will get me to a 52" quilt.

Now just multiply your number of rows times the number of columns and divide by three.  That is about the number of squares you will need of for each color.  

So for a quilt like mine, you will need about 57 squares of each color.


http://quiltingismorefunthanhousework.blogspot.com/p/scrap-palooza-quilt-gallery.html

In previous months, there have been 4 posts on each of the quilts but this month, we will only be needing three.  If this quilt doesn't sound like it fits the scraps you have on hand, remember, you can always look at the Scrap-A-Palooza gallery page for other scrappy inspiration.




  And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
Now let's get to cutting!


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185

I will be sharing this with Anything Goes Monday at Stitch by Stitch and Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.  Be sure and check out these blogs for even more quilty inspiration.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice top and color combination. Sometimes I wish my attention didn't wander so wildly among color combinations and styles. I can't imagine finishing 3 or 4 projects and having coordinating scraps. :-)

Katie said...

reminds me of a pattern in the love liberty book that's on my someday list -- it looks great.

Anonymous said...

That would be a great pattern for a guy's quilt!! Will be fun to see how others interpret the piecing!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Hmmm - you have me thinking now.... I will have to go see what scraps I might have.... Love your colors!!!

SewPsyched! said...

loving the Scrapapallooza :) Setting aside scraps as we speak. Hubster walks by and says "wow, what happened in here?" ;)

Anonymous said...

I just love these colors together!

Sue Daurio said...

Oh I love those colors. What a great idea for a quilt, simple sweet and so dang pretty!

Bonnie said...

Wow -- what a dynamic quilt from a simple concept. Lovely.

01 09 10