Sunday, August 13, 2017

Oh Scrap! : Improv Stripes

Happy Sunday!




Remember this pretty stack of scraps?




They are now all somewhere in this project!




Debbie over at A Quilter's Table hosted an #improvstripesqal and I thought it would be fun to join in the fun.  I knew I wanted to make a lap sized quilt so I decided to make my blocks more rectangular so it wouldn't get too busy.



I don't often do improv.  I find it to be a really slow process and I swear sometimes after sewing a bunch of seams, your blocks appears smaller!  Just kidding of course but I do find it to be pretty time consuming.




Even so, I have been enjoying this project.  I still have a couple of vertical seams to sew and I need to decide how I am going to finish the left side.  I like the large piece of black but I still need to determine if I will add any strips.  I do have a scrap pinned up there so I can think about it.



I also added a few bowtie blocks to my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt.  Such quick blocks!

How about you - what are you making with your scraps?



***********************************************


Share your scrap projects.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!

    Quilting is more fun than Housework

    So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!





    21 comments:

    Doreen said...

    "Improv" has always been a 'snail's pace' process for me, too. I really like what you've done and (IMHO) think that the black on the left (maybe with a piece like the one that's there inserted!) is the perfect (vision/eye) "resting place" and adds a peaceful area to the piecing.

    LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

    I like your Stripes progress! I find it fun to have to spend time thinking about what will make the imrpov piece work and fit together, but challenging. I also have a hard time getting anything much bigger than a baby quilt or wall-hanging. Especially with the stripes - there are so many seams! Your bow ties are pretty, too! They will make a fun, scrappy quilt!

    Kathy E. said...

    Oh, I do love your Improv Stripes quilt! I made one, too, and enjoy Debbie's creativity with fabric and design. Last year, I made the CrossCut quilt and it made my list of 'favorites' among my projects. I do like the addition of your Bow Ties too! Such scrappy fun!

    The Joyful Quilter said...

    I like where you've taken your Improv Stripes! You make it look easy and I never would have guessed (by looking at your WIP, that Improv isn't something you do regularly.) Happy finishing!!

    Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

    I know exactly what you mean about a seam making an improv block shrink. Thankfully the Improve Stripes appear to be a bit better about that. How fun that you sewed along with Debbie!

    Jayne said...

    This turned out amazing! I watched from afar wishing I could have joined in the fun. Yours turned out amazing! For the record a little swear here and there is to be expected! I won't speak for everyone...just me!

    gayle said...

    I really love your stripes! I've been eyeing all the improv projects, but haven't jumped in. These stripes and the chinese coins quilts are really making my fingers twitch to reach for that rotary cutter, though...

    tbear said...

    the improv quilt is to die for... I want it!!

    PaulaB quilts said...

    My favorite part is the tall blue and black column. It has a nice rhythm as well as a cohesiveness. It reminds me of downtown Manhatten at night.

    chrisknits said...

    What a fun way to use old scraps! But I am so OCD I sm not sure I could do it!! LOL

    Linda Swanekamp said...

    Great improv strips! They do take longer than they should. Nice value shifting and change of directions.

    Ariane said...

    I really love your improv stripe quilt top progress so far. I want to try one of these too. Maybe in a few weeks. I'm trying to finish up some projects right now.

    Marianne said...

    I love it in all its stripy goodness!

    Libby in TN said...

    Love the look of your improv piece. I agree that improv can be time-consuming. Much easier to chain piece the same block over and over.

    Ruth said...

    I fins it slower too but that's probably because for me having to constantly make so many decisions and evaluating and deciding tires me out!

    Robin said...

    I love the strippy improv project. It is so pleasing to look at.

    Susan said...

    That is an absolutely fascinating improv quilt! Striking color scheme, and consistent fabric choices with the dots and stripes. Everything works - well done!

    audrey said...

    Great improv. stripes! So much energy!

    Quilter Kathy said...

    I love your improve quilt! Its very dynamic!

    em's scrapbag said...

    Your improv piece looks fantastic.

    Sandy Panagos said...

    I love what you did. Improv is a good way to get those creative juices flowing!

    01 09 10